The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) on Thursday, October 1, said the country recorded 2,080 road crashes in the second quarter of this year (Q2’20) with 5,535 Nigerians injured and 855 killed.
NBS, in its latest Road Transport Data Report, disclosed that 3,334 vehicles were involved in road traffic crashes with car accounting for 28 percent.
Read the full report below:
The Q2 2020 road transport data reflected that 2,080 road crashes occurred in Q2 2020. Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in Q2 2020 and it accounted for 47% of the total road crashes reported.
Wrongful overtaking followed closely as it accounted for 10% of the total road crashes recorded while Dangerous Overtaking recorded the least of the total road crashes reported.
Similarly, a total of 855 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q2 2020. Out of the total
Nigerians that got killed, 788 are adults representing 92% of the figure while the remaining 67 Nigerians are children representing 8%. 694 male Nigerians, representing 81%, got killed in road crashes in Q2 2020 while 161 female Nigerians, representing 19% got killed.
A total of 5,535 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded.
Out of the total Nigerians that got injured, 5,166 are adults representing 93% while the remaining 369 Nigerians are children representing 7%. 4,393 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got injured in road crashes in Q2 2020 while 1,142 female Nigerians, representing 21% got injured.